Thread whirling is a fast and accurate way to thread long, small diameter parts in exotic materials, such as titanium, and nickel-based alloys (Inconel®, etc.). Our family of thread whirling tools enables the production of small-diameter, long threads when used on Swiss-type machines.
Whirling inserts and holders are capable of producing a wide range of medical parts – such as dental implants and bone screws, automotive parts, and small parts for the semiconductor industry.
- Increased productivity: Thread whirling is performed in a single pass (and permits operation under high feed rates), resulting in shorter machining times.
- Very high surface quality and geometry accuracy: The use of multiple cutting edges, high concentricity, and ideal chip removal enables top-quality surfaces to be produced without burr.
- Longer tool life: Whirling inserts have a stronger cutting edge than single-point tools, as cutter side clearance is achieved via whirling spindle rotation (instead of relieving material under the cutting edge).
- Faster setup: Thread whirling eliminates the need for special support devices, reducing initial R&D costs.
- Support for large helix angles: Large helix angles can be compensated by adjusting the whirling unit.
THREAD WHIRLING INSERTS
The thread whirling inserts are made for each application as a special item (on a “per application” basis).
- Special cutting edge geometry, resulting in superior surface quality
THREAD WHIRLING TOOL HOLDERS
The thread whirling tool holders are standard stock items. Variants for many different machine types and manufacturers are available:
Star / Citizen / Tornos / Traub / Hanwha / Maier / Nexturn, and more.
- One tool holder can be used for different applications
- Special adaptors for machine heads are available (as stock items)